Application Guide of Working Residence Permit for Foreign Citizens in Chongqing


. Applying for Residence Permit (Extension)

Foreign citizens coming to Chongqing for work can apply for working residence permit at the exit-entry administration of public security organ. According to the regulations, a face-to-face interview and the following documents are necessary:

1. Original and photocopy of a valid passport and visa;

2. The original Registration Form of Temporary Residence issued and sealed by a local police station or a hotel registration issued and sealed by a local hotel;

3. Visa Application Form for Foreign Citizens accurately filled in with a black-ink pen, to which is attached one recent, half-length, unobstructed, full-faced, 2-inch visa photo; a valid Receipt of Exit-Entry Photograph gotten from a local photo studio authorized for digital exit-entry photographs;

4. Chinese official letter issued and sealed by receiving units in Chongqing, describing the basic information of the receiving units and the applicant, purpose of visiting China, time and place of staying, exit-entry scheduling and warrant to abide by relevant laws during stay in China;

5. Foreigner's Work Permit issued by Foreign Expert Affairs Bureau of Chongqing; For foreign citizens engaged in cultural or physical activities, the document of approval of performances issued by cultural and physical administrative department and relevant letters and name lists are required to be present

6. For applicants who do not hold Z visa: the certificates of foreign high-level educated talents, those in urgent need of certain areas and investors issued by related departments and other relevant materials should be submitted

7. For those foreign students employed by a receiving entity during the period of innovation and entrepreneurship in China (Chongqing) Pilot Zone of Free Trade, the following documents are required: 1. Foreigner’s Work Permit issued by Foreign Expert Affairs Bureau of Chongqing; 2. graduation certificate and diploma issued by higher education institutions in China; 3. an official letter by the inviting and receiving entity.

8. The foreign citizens over 18 who apply for Residence Permit in Chongqing for the first time should submit the health certificate issued by Chongqing Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau (Chongqing International Travel Healthcare Center)

9. For those receiving entities who have not finished the registration in the local exit-entry administration, the following materials shall be submitted: (1) the proofing materials on the qualification of the inviting and receiving entity, (2) the letter of commitment signed by the legal person of the receiving entity, (3) photocopy of the legal person’s ID card, (4) original and photocopy of the undertaker designated by the receiving entity and (5) an official letter which states clearly that the receiving entity has consigned some employee as the undertaker to accompany the applicant to the exit-entry administrative organ for the visa application;

10. Other additional formalities and documents required by the exit-entry administration of public security organ

. Residence Permit Re-issuance

Foreign citizens, whose visas are lost, damaged or stolen in China, can re-apply visas at the exit-entry administration of public security organ. Apart from the documentation listed in Part I, a face-to-face interview and the following additional documentation are necessary:

1. For applicants whose visas are lost or stolen: a certificate of loss report of passport or a diplomatic note presented by their states embassy or consulates to China and a new passport

2. For applicants whose visas are damaged: the damaged passport or a diplomatic note presented by their states’ embassy or consulates to China and a new passport.

. Important Reminders

1. All the originals (A4) are required for inspection and verification and all the photocopies (A4) for retention

2. All the application documents not written in Chinese should be translated into Chinese by qualified translation companies before submission

3. Applicants with Chinese household registration (hukou) cannot apply for visas until their cancellation of registration; they are required to provide the certificate of registration cancellation issued by the local police station

4. Applicants who want to extend visas must present an application 30 days in advance before the expiration of visas

5. Whenever the registered item in a foreigners residence permit has changed, the holder shall, within 10 days from the date of change, apply for the alteration and provide the supporting materials

6. The foreign-related organizations hiring foreigners should report timely to the exit-entry administration if the following circumstances happen to the foreigners: job quitting, change of the working place, violating the regulations related to exit-entry administration regulations, death, missing and etc

7. Applicants can reside in China temporarily with receipt for acceptance within 15 working days as their supporting documents for international travel are kept for visa extension, renewal or re-issuance

8. Entities that issue written invitations shall be liable for the authenticity of the contents

9. Applicants and their relative receiving units or individuals are required to cooperate with the staff from the exit-entry administration of public security organ when they verify application reasons by face-to-face interviews, directory inquiries or on-site investigations

10. Decisions are final as the exit-entry administration of public security organ determines not to extend, renew or reissue visas, not to issue certificates of permanent residence for foreign citizens, and not to extend the intended date of their entry into China

. Processing Time

The exit-entry administration of public security organ shall not determine an application for permission until 15 working days (investigation time excluded) after the date of receipt of all the valid application documents.


XML 地图 | Sitemap 地图